Saturday, September 09, 2006

Millions of Mommy Blogs - Where Are the Daddy Blogs?

As sociologists have studied and pondered the differences between the sexes over the last 100 years, we have seen "science" declare the sexes to be exactly the same except for the ability to bear children, and more recently seem to get the idea that there are a bunch of ways the TWO sexes are quite opposite. (I think there is a book to be written about science catching up with obvious reality.)

In any case . . . being something of a meterosexual, a couple of my favorite blogs that require my daily visitation are written by moms, and are largely written for women, and visited by 1000's of women daily. One in particular is Rocks in My Dryer, which I believe could be a jumping off point for some sociologist to do a study on how men and women differ in their blogging.

Now Shannon is a super writer. She is witty, pithy, and knows a good subject. She is a natural networker, and has generated a great following through creating and maintaining groups. Dig a bit deeper, though, and you see that these groups are mostly other blogging moms. Not just a few, but hundreds. When Shannon asks a question or starts a meme, she gets 39 comments the first day.

Now, to prove this isn't sour grapes (since if I get one comment on my posts it is a time of celebration), I don't compare my blog to hers. She gets way more traffic. So I compare her to another of my favorite blogs. This one is also written by a super writer who is pithy and witty. He is of the male species. Michael, of Master of None, gets about the same number of hits a day as Shannon, maybe even more. He has not created any social nets, and while he has some loyal followers, nothing like what happens at Shannon's place. While Michael gets comments on almost every post, a big day for him would be 6, not over a 100, like Shannon.

Notice that Rocks in My Dryer is mostly clever stuff about her life as wife, mom, friend, and Christ follower. Michael's is current events, technology, and occasionally daily life. His requires research and is often insightful and shows depth of intellect and understanding. Hers is light and fun and off the top of her head. Not to say that Rocks doesn't show depth, but it does it through emotional touch points instead of hard facts and analysis.

That's as far as I'm going with this. Any thoughts?

No comments: