Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Bookish Play Tag

John Gillmartin who writes here has kindly "book" tagged me today. I am always a sucker for these kinds of surveys. I even agree to do the ones on the phone. Yikes.

I'm supposed to tag 4 more, but will put off that task until tomorrow. It will be announced. (Heh, Heh)

Total Number of Books Owned - Ever?

First. I never, ever throw away or purposely give away a book I only have one copy of. Books are research. Very precious. So, while I have sold a few of my college texts, lent a book or two that didn’t come back, and just plain lost a few, I still have virtually every book I’ve purchased as an adult, and some dating to my teens.

Second. It is really rare that I buy a book and not read it. Compulsive, wouldn’t you say.

So, I figure that I have averaged reading one book a week for 40 years. 2100 books in the primary research category. We have owned 100’s of chidren's books. Some are now being passed down.

Would it surprise you to know that my favorite day at school was the day the bookmobile came? Better than recess.

Last book I bought:


Not 100% sure, but probably a Ted Dekker or Randy Alcorn fiction. I think the last book as present was Tim LaHaye thriller.

Last Book I Read:


Just finished The Last Judgment by Craig Parshall. I’ll be reviewing it shortly. It had a great, fun plot, if slightly uneven writing.


Five books that mean a lot to me (not counting the Bible)


Is there any way to compile those who have responded to the challenge and get me the lists from this answer for http://Christianclassics.com. I’ve been begging for help for this site, but only getting a dribble.

For me it is real hard to narrow to five, but I will try.

The Edge of Eternity by Randy Alcorn. I actually put this down after three chapters and forgot about it for weeks (this never happens.) Picked it up and couldn’t put it down again. Bought 10 copies and gave away to every reader I could find. Haven’t read it? You should.

Everything by C.S. Lewis. I really like some of the shorter works, but Mere Christianity and In Defense of Pain are incredible.

Armageddon by Leon Uris. He is better known for Exodus and others which became movies, but this one still speaks to me. I need to read it again.

Love Life for Every Married Couple by Ed Wheat. I keep extra copies to give to couples who are struggling. So does my pastor. It taught me more about love than any other book.

The Bondage Breaker by Neil Anderson I have written an extensive review on this which I will post soon. I truly believe that the work of this man is the most underutilized tool in the body of Christ today. I have seen real miracles in peoples lives as a result of this process.

That was fun. Do you want to play? Say so in the comments and maybe I'll tag you.

No comments: