Saturday, November 12, 2005

Love and Marriage Go Together Like . . .

Seems like there's a lot of weddings going on. For all the talk about folks living together, singleness as a lifestyle, and such, most folks seem to want to get hitched.

Those that walk down the aisle in front of their friends and relatives tend to make a few solemn vows. Then a few weeks, months, or years later, Pooof! Those vows are kind of last weeks news.

I was reminded of this in my own life a few weeks ago. Didja know that I am married to a woman who is the closest thing God has ever created to perfection in a wife? Its true! But even so, there are moments or days or even strings of a few days when we don't get along...uh....perfectly.

Now, maybe its just me, or maybe you'll feel me on this, at those times I don't want to do loving things for my wife. For example, I try to keep a stock of greeting cards in my desk drawer at the office. Then, from time-to-time, I pull one out and write a nice paragraph or two expressing my feelings, and send it off. BUT, during those "times" when there is a strain in our relationship, I have been known to pull one of those cards out of the drawer, stare at it for a few minute, even start to write something, and then put it away.

A couple of weeks ago, God spanked me good on this. My mood, my attitude, my little hurt feelings, or my bad day should never be an excuse for not letting my wife know that she is the light of my life.

Recommitment is something those of us in Fundamentalist churches know a lot about. I suspect many who go to the alter to recommit, do so with great intentions, only to see those intentions whither away and die. I'm recommitted to let my wife know every single day in some very special way how incredibly special she is to me.

Like the wedding vows, I have no publicly stated my vow in front of friends, relatives, and even strangers. If you'd like to make a similar vow to your spouse, you are welcome to use the comment section.

No comments: