Friday, August 12, 2005

GAS PRICES! What's All the Fuss?

No way do I like paying $50 to fill up my tank, but sometimes it is important to get a little perspective on things.

In 1969 my first apartment, a one bedroom, was 4 blocks from the beach in Santa Monica, and North of the famous Wilshire Blvd. For those who don't know, Wilshire separates the well-to-do from the very well-to-do. North is better. The apartment was $95 per month. Today, maybe $2000 for the same unit. 20X as much

I bought a really nice car, Dodge Challenger, new in 1970 for $4000 loaded. It got about 12 miles to the gallon. Today. $32,000 for the equivalent car and 22 mpg. 8X the price, almost double the gas mileage.

If my memory serves me well, gas was about $.29 at that time. So today, if it goes up just 10X that would be $2.90. But, we get double the gas mileage, so the real equivalent would be $5.80 in terms of real 2005 dollars.

You know the other prices in those days. Chocolate bar $.10, up from a nickel in the 50's. McDonalds, change back from $1.

Sure, some things cost less to, or you get way more for the same money. TV's, stereos, car tires, phone service.

Call me an optimist. I'm glad the rest of the world is getting wealthier. I think it means less chance they'll try to take away our stuff.

No comments: