Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Wealth

It is my personal belief that wealth is the most difficult temptation we might face in life. I am personally far from wealthy, but do well enough to see how it can distract you from the important things. I will eventually report on a book by Bill Hybels entitled “Descending into Greatness. It had a very big impact on my life. (e.g. I was driving Jags. Now I drive a Dodge Intrepid.) But wealth can create all kinds of sinful behavior from worrying about keeping it to idolizing the things it buys. Having money can certainly divert our attention from God to things and pleasure.

So, if you agree with the above, why do we work so hard to provide wealth for our kids? Why do we feel so bad about those who are just above or below the poverty level? Why are we so motivated to help our friends find better and better jobs? Why do we, as a nation, seek to bring the rest of the world up to our standard of living?

No comments: