Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Golden Rule

I was involved in a very long debate over at blogcritics on the subject of the practical advantages of atheism, when one of the commentors said that her touchstone was the golden rule. Of course, I argued that while the golden rule was a great place to start, you need much more than that for right living, and a significant bit more to get to heaven.

But, for me it was one of those wake up calls. So many of life's really good lessons have a way of getting lost in the recesses of our hard drive. We learn a bunch of new lessons about marriage, parenting, helping the poor, doing our job, and the new lessons are fresh, more available for our read-write head to find when we're living our lives.

So, for the last few days, I've been trying to use the Golden Rule first. You probably already know that it is a great shortcut to right behavior. It works really well most of the time. Great reminder for me. Hope it helps.

No comments: