Friday, July 01, 2005

Vacation Time

Summers here. Time to get away from it all. At least for a lot of folks. Most of this generation seems to get the idea that vacations are important. At our company, after you’ve worked 5 years you get 3 weeks. After 10 years you get 4. We want our people to get rested up so they can produce even more and do it better.

However, I’ve noticed there are still some who feel they can’t take that vacation. They can’t get away. Too important. Something might go wrong. Can’t afford the time away.

Well, I don’t want to go to meddlin’. Not me. If you can’t leave your job for a week or two or three, you haven’t done a very good job of training others around you. I’m guilty of that, sometimes. Crisis occur while I’m gone, because I haven’t adequately prepared my staff to handle it. I still go. At least five weeks a year, my entire adult life.

The truth is, if you get completely away for at least 10 days, you will come back with ideas and motivation that will more than make up for your time away. There might be a pile of work on your desk, and a few messes to clean. Those piles and messes will show you where you need to better train next time. So quit making out that your such a big shot and get outta town.

No comments: