Sunday, July 17, 2005

Promise Keeper Keeps Delivering on its Promises

Thirteen years ago in Boulder, CO, my good friend Brad, my brother Gary, and I joined 63,000 other Christian men in the first big stadium event by Promise Keepers. We were all three breathless by the end of the two days. We were convinced that we were witnessing something that would bless Christian men and their families.

I still remember lessons learned at that first event. I no longer head for the mail or my paper or any other thing when I first walk through the door. Pam gets my first attention. I no longer keep the paper or a book open and at eye level when she interrupts my reading to talk to me. The book gets closed, the paper folded, so that she has my full attention. We try to have a date night once a week, a 3 day vacation 4 times per year (just the two of us), and a longer vacation once a year.

This weekend men gathered at the Pond in Anaheim to sing, rejoice, praise, pray, and learn more about how to witness the love of Christ in our daily activities. And I was reminded of things I was not doing, like sending a card or a note to Pam to let her know how I cherish her.

Brad and I have now attended almost every Promise Keeper event, including the 1,000,000 man prayer effort in Washington DC. We both reflected on the declining attendance and wondered if men who don't go any more think they have learned all they need to know about the issues raised at PK, or whether they've just decided to stop trying to do better. Some of the statistics about our culture and things like Christian divorce rates would suggest that PK is still very much needed.

Thank you Coach McCartney for being obedient to the call of God on your life.

No comments: